Who would have thought? Cocoa is an antioxidant!
So, other than hot chocolate and mole sauce, what can we do with this information?
Well, I just happened to have bison patties in my freezer, and I had a thought, which turned out to be a very good thought:
2 bison patties, thawed
2 tablespoons Avocado oil (olive oil would probably do fine)
1 tablespoon cocoa (powder)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1. Mix the cocoa and cumin in a bowl.
2. Dredge the bison patties in the cocoa-cumin mixture.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan on fairly low heat. (Bison cooks very fast and is dry if overcooked, so be cautious.)
4. Gently saute the bison patties, putting about half a teaspoon of lemon juice on each patty per side.
5. When cooked to your taste (I had mine rare), remove the patties from the pan and stir the pan drippings into a gravy.
6. Serve, pouring gravy over them if desired.
This experiment turned out great. Both Peter and Elizabeth wanted seconds. Somewhat to my surprise, I had to part with some of mine to satisfy the child demand.